Monday, May 19, 2008

Monsters

I've been trying to wrap my head around the professor of question of late.

I was also wondering where all the monster stories, fables and legends come from. Most likely parents trying to scare their children into obeying them. "Listen to your father. Don't go into the dark woods or baba yaga will get you and eat your heart!"

I was tempted into monstering a child to bed the other night. "Stay in bed or the spiders will come out. Spiders only attack children who are awake at bedtime. They are completely harmless towards good little sleeping children..." But I did not.

Anyways, what starts as a harmless story to get children's attention turns into a mythos that gets passed on through generations and takes on a realism. Thanks to some story, now we have goth kids that wear bat rings and get weird tattos and hang out all gothy in the malls. They are sooooo undead and scary, I think I will respect them and their dark ways... in the mall...

But what lays in the realm of perversions? Where did these grains of seediness come from? What would cause a grown adult to tie up children? Sure, cowboys and indian films... boy scout knots... one's own feelings of being trapped at a younger age, a psychosis of keeping deep laden secrets... But how could one project those perverse inflictions upon a trusting youth. A corruption bordering on sexual predation?

Then I must confront myself. Feelings of never allowing myself to trust such a person, if found guilty. Never accepting apologies and such. Yet I have allowed other people of other crimes a second chance. Why can I accept the "recovery" of one monster and yet not another? I am a hypocrite, or atleast, someone who has not defined the black and white of crime in my mind.

6 comments:

avabee said...

I don't think it simply borders on sexual predation...it is the definition of sexual predation IMO.

gravy said...

No one is saying there was sexual contact or actions as far as I've been informed. Just that he was stimulated from watching them bound and whatnot. Could have been worse... hopefully wasn't.

avabee said...

I thought they said that he'd touched two of them sexually...?

gravy said...

Way to gross up my blog. You monster!

gravy said...

RAWR!!!

gravy said...

:D