Thursday, May 1, 2008

I quitted

Went on a ride to Beneto yesterday. I was feeling frisky. I can't believe Mr. I Broke My Ribs Three Weeks Ago was out on the highway. WOW!

After reading Cornbread's and MG's descriptions of TI, I had a thought that maybe, just maybe, I could do something similar, on about a third of the scale.

While I was feeling good, I pushed from group to group, then from rider to rider. I was thinking, "Yeah, I can catch the tete before they get to Kabredelo's, or whatever it's called." Heading up the last hill I saw the distance, felt the wind, heard my legs yelling from outsaddling for two minutes... just shut'er down. A few moments later I saw the front runners had drastically taken their feet off the pedals, so to speak. I could have dug a little deeper and matched them, but then again, they could have looked back, hit a notch and laughed at me.

Oh well, no reason to push beyond on a recovery ride... eventhough the only thing I'm recovering from today is a little hit on my wallet from last night. Oh well, "That's what money is for..." as my grandma used to say when she'd spoil me just a little bit... or a lot.

14 comments:

gravy said...

And now after reading endurosnob's account, I feel even lower for thinking my two minutes even compares to what those fellas endured... enduro-ed.

avabee said...

Someone smarter than me once wrote:

"If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans."

Adrian Olivera said...

You were hauling ass coming back. Good ridin'!

gravy said...

I'm not comparing myself to anyone... I'm just thinking I'm not doing what I could be... challenge-wise. Maybe I need to plan... more!

And... just trying to keep up with you and A-run.

kevin said...

I suppose this means I'll be riding solo at the back now. Gravy, your newfound ambition disappoints me.

nicol said...

The most common comment I hear about your riding, Gravy, is that your style is effortless. You fly uphill, passing people, and barely break a sweat. I have never seen you breathing hard on a bike. Maybe you do sometimes feel out of breath, but I have never seen it. What's cool is that you don't seem to care either way. You just go with it and ride however you're feeling that day. You generally look like you're having a good time riding. Nothing wrong with that. :)

Kevin W., you cracked me up!

gravy said...

Kev, you know I'll be sticking on your wheel when you're there. You've got the mini-fridge!

Nicol, the secret is I hold my breath going up hill. I got to hurry, otherwise I'll die!

kevin said...

Had a late night last night Gravy -- closed it down. The thought of the contents inside the mini-fridge is not a happy thought today.

My recovery time isn't what it used to be.

nicol said...

Diet Coke and lemonade can do that to a person, Keven. Take it easy next time on the beverages.

nicol said...

Kevin, not Keven. :S Silly moi.

Adrian Olivera said...

I always thought it was Caven. Who is "Moi" Necole?

gravy said...

You strangers are getting stranger everyday!

kevin said...

NOW you tell me Nicole!!! Where's was your good sense when I needed it last night!

I'm good for an "outing" like that about every few months, so I should be good for awhile.

gravy said...

Kevin, your newfound prohibition disappoints me.